Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Spiritual accountability

So I have been thinking a lot about spiritual accountability. What does it look like? I ask this because I know that our personal walk with God can be so intimate but at the same time as humans and dealing with our flesh we can need a prompting from a fellow believer. I will be totally honest with you...I really struggle with my daily devotion. I mean I struggle with the fact that I don't have one. I really want an accountability partner but at the same time I don't know how to go about asking for one. Well last week I decided that I needed to start my day off with God. If I am looking to him for my strength all day then I need to be arming myself with the Word. I know that I have the Holy Spirit but I also have to trust that God has spoken to me through his word and I can pull from that throughout the day. Well until I figure out this accountability partner issue I want to post my devo. for today. My goal would be to post it every day but well it has been a big deal for me to be reading everyday let alone turning on the computer and posting so we will see. Here it is... From My Utmost for His Highest. Reference I kings 19:5 This verse is talking about Elijah fearing for his life and basically hiding out in the wilderness. The Lord provides food for him. The title of today's devo. TAKING THE INITIATIVE AGAINST DEPRESSION: It is talking about how all of us have the capacity for depression. If we didn't we would not be human. Whenever we examine ourselves we need to take into account our capacity for depression. The Spirit of God comes to us, just as it did to Elijah. Not with glorious visions but in the most ordinary things imaginable. (He fed Elijah). We are being prompted to look for the Holy Spirit leading us instinctively to do something. This reminds me of something wise my MIL told me about. She was diagnosed with an illness that takes a lot of adjustment and trusting God to deal with. She talked to me about gathering Manna. How we so often try to gather our manna and look to prepare ourselves for the future. We worry about things days, weeks, months ahead. We gather our worries or "manna" for the future. All our manna gathered for the future spoils. Just like when we worry about tomorrow it spoils our day or causes worry and stress over something we are not even guaranteed to have. We need to gather and prepare for today the moment we are in. Taking each moment for what it is and trusting that God has given us the grace and fruit we need to handle that moment.

4 comments:

Andrea Young said...

Soooo great to "meet" you Bethany! Your little ones...PRECIOUS! One thing I have really learned is that this momma needs accountability. Whether it comes through meeting in person, over the phone...or even on a blog...it doesn't matter so much---I have loved the One Year Bible study that a handful of us are doing...I would love for you to join us if you would like too!!! Nothing is sweeter than reading alongside with other mommies who share similar hearts!!!

Jennifer said...

bethany-
thanks for your post; maybe your reflections on your readings will provide me with some accountability. I too have been feeling very convicted lately about my daily devotion - reading, prayer, and mental focus. It is a day-by-day journey.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Love that devotion!!! Never thought of that before, but makes a lot of sense!

I know spiritual accountability is tough. I am with you. I have tried to really be intentional about having time everyday- taking it in a scheduled slot. It helps, but it not fool proof- because I am sometimes a fool. I am striving though.

Teri R said...

Thank you for expanding on a simple truth. I needed that reminder today!