Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Saturday

Oh Saturday. Did we have a Saturday? I can't remember much of it...but here is what I do recall...
When we got to the airport on Sat. morning to fly out of Saint Louis I was a WRECK!! I was so sad to be leaving my little boy and had a lot of nervous excitement about meeting our new little boy. Basically the whole time we were in the airport I held my breath literally. I knew if I exhaled to quickly the sobs would come and scare the snot out of Wes. So I would hold my breath. At one point Wesley looked at me and said "Mommy my tummy hurts." I said.."do you think it is because you are nervous?" He said "yeah." I think having him at the airport the 45 minutes before we left was hard on him. I don't think he knew what us leaving was going to look like. Well we said our goodbyes at security and then I turned to the police officer and burst into tears. It was sweet though because he just gently whispered "leaving loved ones is hard..." Wow I didn't expect to have a therapeutic moment with the man who could easily have to frisk me. Anyway we left Saint Louis and arrived in DC. We eventually met up with Kami, and Melissa and met some knew families. It was so fun. Then we all boarded the plane and I dry heaved my way to Africa. Good times.
Oh my I almost forgot to write about the luggage. We had 3 checked bags at 48-50 lbs each and one bag that was 70 lbs. We prayed and prayed that we wouldn't have to pay. I explained to the luggage lady that why it was over in weight. She said that she had just seen something on the news about Ethiopia having the formula shortage. God is good. Anyway she waived the overweight charge. $60 in the bank.
And I can't close without another travel tip....
Bring slippers to wear on the plane. I hate wearing shoes so I wore the little socks they give you on the plane. Gross! They are perfect for soaking up the urine on the floor in the bathroom. Uhh I just threw up a little in my mouth just think about it. So on the way home I wore slippers and they were comfy and the bottoms were urine proof.

6 comments:

Brian and Autumn said...

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely bring slippers now! They were on my debatable list :)

jody said...

oh totally gross-that is NOT a souvenir of the trip that you want. I am so glad you made it though, dry heaving and all :) nervous tummies are the best, aren't they???? ugh. I suppose it is WAY better than morning sickness though-I will choose to think of it that way, after I have spent a good bit of my life lying on the bathroom floor through 3 pregnancies...at least I didn't have to wear urine proof slippers for that though :)

Murphy Momma said...

Keep these posts coming! I'm loving reliving it with you. :)
Sharon

Dawn said...

Thanks for the tip on the slippers!! :)

Chantelle said...

Hi1 i just found your blog through another friend of mine, Mindy. I am so happy to see yet another Missouri couple adopting from Ethiopia! Awesome. We too are in Missouri (southeast). We are currently #1 on our agency's wait list, so I LOVE reading other people's info! Thanks for the great tips! Love it. I am new to your blog so trying to sort out your timeline.
Best luck to you and your adorable family!
Chantelle Becking

Murphy Momma said...

OK, I'm trying tobe patient but I'm ready for day #3 now. :)
Sharon