We started this journey as a family going from 3 members to 5. On December 12th we brought home our precious second son. Making us a family of 4. We'll see how and when God choses us to become 5.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Sunday/Monday
Sunday: Sunday didn't really happen...It was lumped in there with Saturday...It got lost somewhere over the ocean. Or maybe I dry heaved it down the airplane toilet?
Sunday night around 10:15 p.m. we arrived in Ethiopia. Once off the plane (no it is not polite to run out of air craft gasping for air...) we tried to find the customs area. Once said customs area was found we proceeded to stand towards the front of a terribly long line (tip #1: run off the plane! if not for fresh air at least to get in the front of this line!) As we stood there, my terribly patient and sweet husband notices two "ambassadors" getting very heated over the fact that they can't just skip waiting in line and pass through customs. I can tell that he is getting upset at their rudeness and impatience. Well come to find out these were the very people that signed and stamped our papers at the U.S. Embassy just 2 days later. So tip #2(keep all rude comments about impatient people to yourself, you never know who they may be!).
Well we headed to the luggage area and here comes tip #3 Pee on the plane in the nasty bathroom before you start to descend! There is no bathroom once you are off the plane until you are in the baggage area. I did not know there was a bathroom there until about 30 min. into looking for our luggage. I was at the point of contemplating peeing on myself and wondering how long it would take to dry when I overheard someone mention a bathroom. I ran to them begging for the exact location and sprinted to relief. Tip #4 if you do not think ahead and you have to use these bathrooms there is NO TOILET PAPER. So you will find yourself like me trying to "drip dry." Good thing I was wearing 2 pairs of pants they gave me a little buffer....
Back in the chaotic luggage area I found Aaron and was dismayed that after almost 45 minutes we were still missing 3 of 4 pieces of luggage. Well Tip #5 Don't just check the conveyor belt. Check in other people's piles of luggage. There are so many "helpers" getting other people's luggage that a "green suitcase" is a green suitcase whether it is the right suitcase or not...It doesn't matter what's in it right? Just as long as it's green....So Tip #6 Put Ribbons or very Distinct tags on your luggage. It makes it easier to spot!
Well once we had everything we headed to the hotel. Where I did whatever normal person does at 12:30 a.m. after 30 hours of no sleep...I ordered a cheese burger. It was awesome. I then headed upstairs where I thought I laid down on the bed no the floor no the bed no the floor, no seriously it was the bed but I debated whether the floor would have been softer.
Monday we awoke (I woke then woke Aaron :) at 6:00 ish. I was so nervous/excited to meet the little man I had been looking at, thinking about, praying for...
I took a shower..Mistake #1 my hair looked so cute pre shower. After shower it was a big frizzy fluffy mess...Anyway we ate breakfast and then we waited for Almaz.
She came in all smiles. We filled out our paper work and she told us that due to an Ethiopian holiday we would go see our little ones, then go shopping then eat, and then go back to get them...
So I would finish but I need to go to bed...Yes I know it is only 9:42....
Sorry hopefully I can finish tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for all the tips - I'm going to save them!! Can't wait for the next post! :)
so, um, why were you wearing 2 pairs of pants? just curious...
FINALLY - another update!
Congrats! We were just approved today and will soon be in a journey like yours...thanks for the tips.
http://ourjourneyjohn1418.blogspot.com/
Can't wait to hear more!
Post a Comment