Saturday, July 24, 2010

Light hearted or deep and heavy

It seems 90% of my day is light hearted and funny. These boys really keep me rolling! So why if 90% of my day is light hearted am I so compelled to write about the deep and heavy? I guess it's because that is the stuff I am having such a hard time processing. Well this isn't deep or heavy in a negative way just a thought.
Aaron and I both heard a really amazing week long series done on focus on the family. All in all we came away from it with a strong desire to live as if the comfort of this world truly doesn't matter. Now don't get me wrong...I have the air conditioner on, I am sitting at a lap top typing, and we buy as much food as we need to be full. I am just talking about the big picture (which refines us to change the smaller details). Aaron and I were talking about what it would look like if we lived like God was preparing us for something huge. We were talking about how much we both have a heart for mission work (both state side and overseas). We talked about what it would mean to start a ministry. We don't even know how to go about it. God has always given me a passion for teens and especially teen moms. I want so badly to start an organization that teaches young mom's, not only parenting skills, but also helps them work cooperatively with the school to finish. Not only high school but to go on to college. I would want to model the program after a program I heard about in Gurney Illinois called Teen Mother Choices. Aaron and I talked about what it would look like to work towards that goal. Aaron has always had a heart for helping and supporting Dads. He feels Dads really play a big role in the life of their kids and he wants to set up a program for giving guidance and support for young Dads.
So it's all just in the dreaming phase, one thing we know for sure is that we need to get out of debt. We have school debt and man it would be nice to be debt free. Once we have a plan for getting out of debt and I am closer to being done with school we are going to start taking steps into what could and will be the biggest adventure of our lives. Scary thing is...I don't even know the first thing about how to go about doing this....So that should make it interesting!

4 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying with you guys! Sounds amazing to me!!

Janice said...

I love your idea. And you wouldn't know it from my blog, but it is generally deep and heavy ideas that prompt me to write. Anyone who ever read my journals would think I was a depressed philosopher! I totally agree that writing helps with processing!

Murphy Momma said...

I may know something God could use you for right here and now.... Let's talk.

The Hickels said...

Love your big dreams! Right now, though, you should look into starting a Teen MOPS group in your area or hooking up with an existing one. It will give you the structure to encourage teen moms and work with them without the struggles of building a new ministry model, both time-wise and financially. Look at www.mops.org for info, and contact me and we can talk.