We started this journey as a family going from 3 members to 5. On December 12th we brought home our precious second son. Making us a family of 4. We'll see how and when God choses us to become 5.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
A choice we made for our son
We made a choice to circumcise Liam. I understand that this topic is sensitive and I also understand that not everyone agrees with it. This is why I feel it is so important to be educated on what you are choosing to do. Aaron and I saw many different doctors and got many many opinions from the medical world. Honestly the opinions came out to be 50/50. Some were adamantly for it and some were not "against it"...per say but did call it a cosmetic surgery. Well our last and final visit landed us at a ped. urologist who told us that the only cases of penile cancer are directly connected to uncircumcised males. Because he deals with all of the problems caused by being uncircumcised we took his opinion and after a lot of prayer and consideration we decided to make this very very very difficult decision. It was the right one and I am proud of me as Liam's mom for being strong enough to make a decision that was in his best interest long term. It reminds me of the time just recently when Wesley was really really sick. I mean getting worse while on antibiotics. After a night's stay in the ER and yet another developing ear infection I took him in to his primary care doctor. She said we needed to give Wesley an antibiotic shot. She said it was going to hurt and he was going to be very sore for a few days but then he would dramatically improve. I went with the shot...As I and 2 other nurses held Wesley down to get the shot I kept saying you promise this will be better long term. I didn't want to put him through something so painful in the moment unless I was promised I was doing something better for him in the long run. I know that having Liam circumcised is not comparable to giving Wesley a shot but the emotion of having to make that decision is. When you have to make a decision in your child's best interest knowing that short term there is pain but long term it is the best choice (for our son), it's hard. I don't wish any of those kinds of decisions on anyone but unfortunately we as parents will face them throughout our child's whole life. I am sorry for everyone who chose to be so hateful about a decision they were not part of. I am sorry that people I don't even know who don't know me chose to exert their agenda and try to use my personal blog as a platform for starting a debate. I am sad for those people. I don't even want to address the comments that they left because I don't want to give and validity to the ludicrous accusations that they made. We love both our boys more than life itself. As our friends, family and loyal followers of our blog can attest.
Having Liam recover from his (as called by the doctors 'minor' surgery) it was a very precious time for him and us as his parents. I can't describe it and I am sorry that I tried because now something that was so special between us and our son has been tarnished by sick and hateful people.
Fortunately all is well because ultimately this is my blog and well I have the power to delete.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would have made the same choice.
your son , your decision!...you made an informed decision with an abundance of love and that is all that matters!
Post a Comment