I won't say anything negative about the Dr. himself or the resident because I don't want to offend anyone. But I am frustrated. The frustration started when I told the resident that I have been having this severe sinus pain that will wake me up at night. It is this stabbing sensation in my cheek bones. I also said that I often have this drainage down the back of my throat. Well he looked up my nose and said your nose is totally clear. Then he looked in the back of my throat and said no drainage here. Umm okay. I told him I actually have drainage right now. He looked in my throat again and said no you don't. I said yes I do it is on my hangy ball thing and I could hawk it up right now. He said would you..."I said no because anytime mucus comes into contact with my mouth I gag instantly. I can't do spit, salivating, mucus, baby spit up. Just the other day Aaron spit in our kitchen sink (he won't do that again:) to which I instantly gagged 3 times. Then I told him that my teeth hurt. I actually have been getting strong pains in my top molars. It is the most noticeable when I run, jump go upstairs etc. To which he told me No if you had a sinus pain that bad it would feel like an abscessed tooth and you would be in the ER. Well that set the stage for the doctor to come in. Needless to say I wasn't happy already.
After the whole appointment took place, the Dr. sat down and said this is one of three possibilities. Imagine my excitement at finally figuring this thing out. Then he follows it with a "all of which are nothing to worry about." Hmm okay last time I checked it wasn't a big deal to go to your doctor and have an abnormal growth checked out. Anyway. I was all ears (even though at this point I was probably glaring at him and not at all amused...)no I wasn't glaring I specifically remember looking at my hands in my lap and suddenly finding them fascinating. So here are the three possibilities he gave me. Please Please take your pick because they are all, in my opinion, ridiculous.
1. It is a fjdkal;geajfkla;ng. nO that was not meant to be a bad word just a medical word I can't pronounce. He explained this one as being a fat deposit that occurs in obese people and sometimes the fat just deposits funny. Please envision my look of a totally expressionless face. When inside my head is saying...'you have got to be kidding me."
2. It is a fkdal;fkla;fkl. Again another big word. This is actually something that Aaron also has this on his waist and his is firmer and symmetrical. Mine is spungee and not symmetrical. More like swollen tissue.
3. It is a fkla;jfkal;gkla;. Again another big word. This one is found in the obese elderly.
I picked number 3 because I dearly love the elderly and well that one made me feel closer to them. So there it is. I mentioned to him that when I move I can feel a pulling sensation across my chest right below my collar bone. Or across my neck. He said no you don't it isn't big enough to do that. ...Okay no I don't.
I told Aaron I am done. I don't think this is anything serious. Which I have been told now by 2 of the 3 doctors. I have also been told and see now that they actually have no idea what it is but they are positive it is nothing serious.
The doctor at one point even sat down in the chair across from me and looked at me and said...I mean from an objective perspective if you were to come into a room I wouldn't even notice it. Well congratulations to me. Now I can sleep at night peacefully knowing that my obese elderly body with the Asymmetrical chubby neck is nothing to worry about.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, you have got to be kidding me! I cannot believe that resident, or the fact that they could diagnose you with such lame diseases. Hello? Do they think you look obese? Unbelievable. Too bad you couldn't muster the nerve to spit on him- he did ask. Please get another opinion, please?
Oh, Bethany! I wish you had gotten more conclusive answers. I know how frustrating it is to go to doctor after doctor and find that you are no closer to a definite diagnosis than you were before. That's when we have to turn to the Great Physician who knows all the answers! I pray that He will give you relief from the discomfort and peace to wait, or direct you to another doctor. Hang in there! Love, Teri
Bethany-
Get another opinion. Go to Columbia or St. Louis. You should not have to be frustrated like this. It sounds like the doctors you have seen are just not listening to you and that is not good medicine! Just because they are doctors does not mean that they can tell you what is going on with your body. You know your own body better than anyone else and if you feel like something is not right, it isn't. I hope you do get some answers soon. I'll keep praying for you.
Naomi
"I have drainage right now." "No you don't." - See I thought you were going to a medical doctor not a "Power of suggestion" hypnotherapist... Or maybe that's what you should've done. Go check the door real quick, "What are you doing, ma'am?" "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I got an appointment with a DOCTOR." Ha. Ok, I'm spitefully frustrated for you, that sucks. Praying for you though.
Post a Comment