Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holidays

We had a wonderful Christmas...Wesley tore through presents while Liam cried through opening every single one. We eventually learned after about the 2nd present that we should stop forcing him to open his presents. We let Wesley open Liam's presents and Liam got to play with what was inside it was a perfect compromise! This Christmas was so different for me in so many ways. One way in particular was how we are in such a different place emotionally. Another way was my mindset on the day of Christmas itself. After reading the responses to my post on Christmas's and after mulling over the subject (probably too much:) I began to formulate my own ideas as to what the day of Christmas may look like as our boys get older. I heard a sermon shortly after my post about the shepherds having just seen and angel and a star in the distance. They had just received GOOD NEWS! He compared it to the fact that we so often consider evangelizing a burden or a specific phrase we have to say. When really we are sharing the joy of our good news. When you get a job promotion you share with enthusiasm and excitement your good news. Your excitement is contagious. Why should Christmas day be any different? For me Christmas had become about trying to wrap my brain around the great thing that was done of me on this day. Almost a burden I had placed on myself to not be to excited about the material side so that I could focus on what God did for us that day.I like the annalogy that if I had a cure for someone's termanal illness I would run at them with my life saving good news. Well that is what Christmas (and of course Easter) are reminders that we have the cure. We have the good news of eternal life. Well my friends then it dawned on me. What if the material side was part of the Spiritual side on Christmas. Follow me for a second. When you have a birthday there is good news and great joy. There is celebrating for all the people. The gifts, the food, the family gathering can all be a part of the celebration that Christ was born on this day. This probably sounds like a no brainer to most of you. But for me it really transformed my heart. I really had a sense of pure joy and excitement. I don't know Christmas was really real. Hope to share Christmas pics at some point... Need to hop off I have been watching Liam watch himself (filling his pants) in the mirror and then trying to feed his image berry berry kix....

No comments: